Free ADS

US forces raid Iranian tanker in Gulf of Oman as WW3 fears soar

 US forces have raided an Iranian tanker in the Gulf of Oman after it was "suspected of attempting to violate the US blockade. The tanker, identified as the M/T Celestial Sea, was stopped while en route to an Iranian port, where US forces boarded and inspected the vessel before allowing it to depart and directing the crew to alter course.

US Central Command confirmed the operation took place on Wednesday but did not disclose further information about the suspected blockade violation or the nature of the ship's cargo.The US Central Command said in an update on X: "Earlier today in the Gulf of Oman, US Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded M/T Celestial Sea, an Iranian-flagged commercial oil tanker suspected of attempting to violate the US blockade by transiting toward an Iranian port.

"American forces released the vessel after searching and directing the ship's crew to alter course. US forces continue to fully enforce the blockade and have now redirected 91 commercial ships to ensure compliance."

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps warned on Wednesday that any further US or Israeli attacks on Tehran would trigger a wider conflict extending beyond the Middle East.

The warning comes as Iran has effectively restricted access to the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global shipping corridor, while the US has responded by enforcing a naval blockade on vessels attempting to enter or leave Iranian ports.

The nearclosure of the strait has pushed global energy prices higher, and Washington has said that more than 1,500 ships from nearly 90 countries remain stranded in the Persian Gulf.

The US military has continued enforcing the naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz, redirecting 91 commercial vessels so far, according to Centcom.

The boarding of the Celestial Sea occurred one day after President Trump said he had decided to halt planned kinetic strikes on Iran in an effort to keep negotiations with Tehran alive - a decision he said he made on Tuesday following requests from Gulf allies.


0 Response to "US forces raid Iranian tanker in Gulf of Oman as WW3 fears soar"

Post a Comment